Manager, current projects
Manager, completed projects
Complete CV and attachmentsDownload Kathleen_M_Jennings_CV_2016.pdf
Researcher (on leave)
PhD in Political Science, University of Oslo
M.Phil in Politics, St.Antony's College, University of Oxford
BA (Hons) in Political Science, Stanford University
Peacebuilding and peacekeeping operations, gender, Africa, political economy, private security
Jennings, K.M. (forthcoming) “Blue Helmet Havens: Peacekeeping as Bypassing in Liberia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo”, International Peacekeeping.
Jennings, K.M. and M. Bøås (2015) “Transactions and Interactions: Everyday Life in the Peacekeeping Economy”, Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 281-295.
Jennings, K.M. (2015) “Life in a ‘Peace-kept’ City: Encounters with the Peacekeeping Economy”, Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 296-315.
Jennings, K.M. (2014) "Service, sex and security: Gendered peacekeeping economies in Liberia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo", Security Dialogue, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 1-18.
Jennings, K.M. (2012) “Privatizing Peace”, Review Article, International Peacekeeping, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 130-134.
Jennings, K.M. (2012) “Governing Disorder: UN Peace Operations, International Security, and Democratization in the Post-Cold War Era (by Laura Zanotti)”, Book Review, International Peacekeeping, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 665-668.
Jennings, K.M. (2010) "Unintended Consequences of Intimacy: Political Economies of Peacekeeping and Sex Tourism", International Peacekeeping, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 229-243.
Jennings, K.M. (2009) "The political economy of DDR in Liberia: a gendered critique", Conflict, Security & Development, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 475-494.
Jennings, K.M. (2008) "Unclear ends, unclear means: Reintegration in postwar societies – The Case of Liberia", Global Governance, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 327-345.
Jennings, K.M. and A. Kaspersen (2008), "Introduction: Integration Revisited", International Peacekeeping, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 443-452.
Jennings, K.M. and A. Kaspersen (2008), "Conclusion: Integration Going Forward", International Peacekeeping, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 582-587.
Jennings, K.M. (2007) "The Struggle to Satisfy: DDR Through the Eyes of Ex-Combatants in Liberia", International Peacekeeping, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 1-15.
Bøås, M. and K.M. Jennings (2007) "'Failed States' and 'State Failure': Threats or Opportunities?", Globalizations, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 475-485.
Bøås, M. and K.M. Jennings (2005) "Insecurity and Development: The rhetoric of the 'failed' state", European Journal for Development Research, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 385-395.
Anne Kielland, Anne Hatløy, Tone Sommerfelt, Tewodros Aragie Kebede and Kathleen M. JenningsA scoping study concerning knowledge about trends and sub-variationsFafo-report 2017:39
Kathleen M. JenningsFafo-report 2017:19
Kathleen M. JenningsApproaches to sexual exploitation and abuse in UN peacekeeping operationsFafo-report 2008:36
Kathleen M. JenningsChallenges and dilemmas raised by the experiences of ex-combatants in LiberiaFafo-report 2008:03
Kathleen M. JenningsSocial Research in Conflict ZonesFafo-report 2007:08
Kathleen M. JenningsRegulating the Private Military IndustryFafo-report 532
Mark B. Taylor and Kathleen M. JenningsAn Agenda for Applied Research on Transitions from ConflictFafo-report 480
Mark Taylor (ed.), Josefine Aaser, Anne Huser, Kathleen JenningsThe Next Generation of Policy Responses. Report of the expert consultation on conflict economies and development. Oslo, 4 November 2003Fafo-report 436
- Jennings, K.M. (2015) “United Nations Mission in Liberia (UNMIL)” , in Joachim A. Koops, Norrie MacQueen, Thierry Tardy and Paul D. Williams (eds) Oxford Handbook of United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 694-706.
- Jennings, K.M. (2015) “United Nations Observer Mission in Liberia (UNOMIL)”, in Joachim A. Koops, Norrie MacQueen, Thierry Tardy and Paul D. Williams (eds) Oxford Handbook of United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 454-461.
- Bøås, M. and K.M. Jennings (2012) "Rebellion and warlordism: the spectre of neopatrimonialism", in Daniel Bach and Mamoudou Gazibo (eds) Neopatrimonialism in Africa and Beyond, Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 124-131.
- Jennings, K.M. (2008) "Securitizing the Economy of Reintegration in Liberia", in Michael Pugh, Neil Cooper and Mandy Turner (eds), Whose Peace? Critical Perspectives on the Political Economy of Peacebuilding, Basingstoke: Palgrave, pp.157-170.
- Bøås, M. and K.M. Jennings (2008) "War in the Great Lakes Region and Ugandan Conflict Zones: Micro-regionalisms and Meta-narratives", in Fredrik Söderbaum and Ian Taylor (eds) Afro-Regions: The Dynamics of Cross-border Micro-regionalisms in Africa, Uppsala: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet.
- Bøås, M., K.M. Jennings and T. Shaw (2006) "Dealing with Conflicts in Emergency Situations", in V. Desai and R. Potter (eds), Doing Development Research, London: Sage.
- Jennings, K.M. (2012) "Women's participation in UN Peace Operations", in Maria Eriksson Baaz and Mats Utas (eds), Beyond "Gender and Stir": Reflections on gender and SSR in the aftermath of African conflicts, Policy Dialogue no. 9, Uppsala: The Nordic Africa Institute.
- Jennings, K.M. (2011) Women's participation in UN peacekeeping operations: agents of change or stranded symbols?, NOREF Report, Oslo: NOREF.
- Bjørkhaug, I., K.M. Jennings and M. Bøås (2010) Mapping and assessment of national, bilateral and multilateral actors' support to work against sexual based violence in the Great Lakes region in Africa, NORAD Report 12/2010, Oslo: Norad.
Jennings, K.M. and V. Nikolic-Ristanovic (2009) UN peacekeeping economies and local sex industries: connections and implications, MicroCon Working Paper 17.
- Jennings, K.M. (2009) Gender and Post-Conflict Statebuilding: A Synthesis, New York: Program on States and Security, Graduate Center at CUNY.
- Bjørkhaug I, Bøås M, Hatløy A and Jennings KM (2007) Returning to Uncertainty? Addressing Vulnerabilities in Northern Uganda, Kampala: UNDP/Office of the Prime Minister
Other articles, op-eds
Jennings, K. M. (2017). The Immunity Dilemma: Peacekeepers’ Crimes and the UN’s Response. Article at E-IR.