Extensive fieldwork is a core component of our research in the Sahel and in Sub-Saharan Africa. Our researchers combine qualitative and quantitative methods to produce high quality research of direct policy relevance to both Norwegian and international stakeholders.
Fafo's current research in Africa focuses on:
- mobility and displacement
- war and peacekeeping economies
- local and global developments in education
- health and child labour
- social movements and inequality
- politics of faith and secularism in the Sahel
Fafo receives funding for our Africa projects from a range of institutions, including the Norwegian Research Council, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the World Bank, the US Institute of Peace, and the Norwegian Development Agency (NORAD).